Autorelease is several things at once. It is:
- a set of Travis configs that can be imported to automate a cautious approach to releasing on PyPI
- a suite of tests to ensure that the Travis configs are behaving as desired
- a setup.py that can be used across many projects after simple customization
- a “one true version” approach to keep your version string in the fewest places possible
- useful scripts to handle things related to automating releases, such as automatically drafting release notes based on GitHub PR tags
Each of these things is individually useful, but the parts work together to make something greater than their sum.